Friday 29 June 2012

The Song of Achilles - Madeline Miller

Date Read: August 2011

Profoundly moving and breathtakingly original, this rendering of the epic Trojan War is a dazzling feat of the imagination, a devastating love story, and an almighty battle between gods and kings, peace and glory, immortal fame and the human heart.

My Thoughts: Read as uncorrected proof. This book is very addictive, once I picked it up I found it pretty tricky to put down. An easy-read twist on a classic Greek legend that is astonishing, touching and will leave you with a bit of a lump in your throat. I love the relationship between Achilles and Patroclus that Miller builds, it has such strength and honesty - it was easy to fall in love with their characters and watch them grow together. This is less a tale of war and Gods, and more a tale of love and honour.

The only reason that I refrained from giving this book 10 stars is because it brushes very briefly over some events that really should have had more of an impact on the characters. However, a good strong read that I believe will be enjoyed by many.


I RATED THIS 9/10

No comments:

Post a Comment