Tuesday 2 June 2015

Never Go Back - Lee Child

Rated 6/10

I was so lucky to receive an advanced proof copy of this from the publisher, and managed to finish it just as the hardback was released on our shelves in the store.

The latest instalment of Jack Reacher was quite enjoyable, despite me only having read books 1 - 5 previously. This is the 18th Reacher story (correct me if I'm wrong), and while its certainly more entertaining than some of his previous titles, it is by no means the best.

Reacher finds himself stuck right in the middle of an action packed mission to clear his name after tracking down a lady that he really liked the sound of over the telephone.
"He made sure his shirt was tucked and he brushed his hair with his fingers. He had no idea what he was going to say. He had liked her voice on the phone. That was all. He had sensed an interesting person behind it. He wanted to meet that person. Simple as that." - pg 19
This may sound familiar, but we all know that Lee Child's style is very much formulaic, and we've managed to get over that by now! Child also continues to use the short sentences that we're accustomed to from Reacher novels, and it was quite a relief after a day in work to not have to think much about what I was reading. Nice and easy.

There was enough action throughout this book to keep me entertained, as Lee Child sends Reacher on his usual kick ass vigilante mission. The build up was great, but the ending seemed rushed, and I never really got a feel for the top bad guy. I didn't really dislike him as a character (like I did in Tripwire for example).

And so Never Go Back is a great read for Reacher fans, but new readers might wonder what all this 'Reacher' fuss is about.

No comments:

Post a Comment