Thursday 21 June 2012

Every Dead Thing - John Connolly

Date Read: June 2010

Former NYPD detective Charlie Parker, tormented by the brutal, unsolved murders of his wife and young daughter and driven by visions of the dead, tracks a serial killer from New York City to the American South. There, in the dark streets of New Orleans and the deadly moonlit bayous, Charlie finds his buried instincts -- for love, survival, and, ultimately, for killing -- reawakening as he confronts a monster beyond all imagining.

My Thoughts: If you are looking for gore then look no further! Every Dead Thing is just about as gory and brutal as you are ever going to get from a book. It begins even before the first chapter and there are deaths every few pages - killings in the most shocking manner.

I had a couple of problems with this book. To me it felt like it could have finished at the half way point - it has two different main plots running through it at the same time. There are way too many characters to get to grips with and at quite a few moments it felt like I was just trying to plough through and get to the point.

Having said that, it did actually keep me ploughing through - it was gripping enough to have me turning pages and as I got nearer to the end I began to read more quickly... I had already guessed the twist and knew who the Travelling Man was so it was a little disappointing for me but might not be for others.

Charlie Parker isn't the most intriguing of characters and I much preferred Angel and Louis so was glad when they became pretty central to the plot - I think that was what is making me give this a 6 rather than 4.

Recommendation: Perfect for anybody who likes gore and death from their reads. Avid crime fans will probably get a kick from this but be aware that the ending is fairly predictable...


I RATED THIS 6/10

No comments:

Post a Comment