Friday 29 June 2012

Slaughterhouse Five - Kurt Vonnegut

Date Read: November 2010

Kurt Vonnegut's absurdist classic Slaughterhouse-Five introduces us to Billy Pilgrim, a man who becomes unstuck in time after he is abducted by aliens from the planet Tralfamadore. In a plot-scrambling display of virtuosity, we follow Pilgrim simultaneously through all phases of his life, concentrating on his (and Vonnegut's) shattering experience as an American prisoner of war who witnesses the firebombing of Dresden.

My Thoughts: I picked this up on recommendation from a work colleague of mine and I wasn't overly impressed really. It was funny in parts - a humour that was quite bizarre and made me smile a little. However, quite a lot of it seemed to just ramble on without actually amounting to anything in particular.

It was a fairly good read - worth a go and quite witty, but the characters weren't likeable and the plotline wasn't brilliant.


I RATED THIS 6/10

No comments:

Post a Comment