Thursday 21 June 2012

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time - Mark Haddon

Date Read: June 2010

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time is a murder mystery novel like no other. The detective, and narrator, is Christopher Boone. Christopher is fifteen and has Asperger's Syndrome. He knows a very great deal about maths and very little about human beings. He loves lists, patterns and the truth. He hates the colours yellow and brown and being touched. He has never gone further than the end of the road on his own, but when he finds a neighbour's dog murdered he sets out on a terrifying journey which will turn his whole world upside down.

My Thoughts:  I thought this was great! I worked with children who have Special Needs for 8 years before working in the book store and I can honestly say that one of the kids I worked with could have written a book in almost the exact same style. I love the way that Haddon has Christopher describing the holes in a man's shoes rather than his face... it was so very well written.

There were one or two little bits of Christopher's personality that seemed to clash however, and I caught him thinking hypothetically and metaphorically once or twice even though he had explained that he doesn't do that just the chapter before. Near the end - I wasn't keen on the relationship between Christopher and his dad and was willing them to make up quickly.

I loved the descriptions that Christopher gives and the bits of humour that break the tension perfectly. I especially liked the items that he finds under his dad's bed - funny stuff...

Recommendation: This one is for anyone (young or old) who appreciates a good story and will love the intrigue that Mark Haddon conjures up through Christopher.

I RATED THIS 8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment