Thursday 21 June 2012

Mistress of Rome - Kate Quinn

Date Read: April 2010

Thea is a slave girl from Judaea, passionate, musical, and guarded. Purchased as a toy for the spiteful heiress Lepida Pollia, Thea will become her mistress's rival for the love of Arius the Barbarian, Rome's newest and most savage gladiator. His love brings Thea the first happiness of her life-that is quickly ended when a jealous Lepida tears them apart.

My Thoughts: I read this as a pre-publication proof and was astounded by Quinn's talent for bringing her characters and stories to life! I'm a sucker for a strong hero with a shady past and gladiator Arius fits this description precisely. He quickly became one of my favourites.

Quinn tells her tale through the perspectives of different protagonists and antagonists, and this really puts an interesting spin on everything. All of the sub-plots weave together into a brilliant crescendo and had me desperate to keep on reading even after I had to leave the last page. An awesome debut.


I RATED THIS 10/10

No comments:

Post a Comment