Thursday 21 June 2012

The Strain - Guillermo Del Toro

Date Read: May 2010

A Boeing 777 arrives at JFK and is on its way across the tarmac, when it suddenly stops dead. All window shades are pulled down. All lights are out. All communication channels have gone quiet. Crews on the ground are lost for answers, but an alert goes out to the CDC. Dr. Ephraim "Eph" Goodweather, head of their Canary project, a rapid-response team that investigates biological threats, gets the call and boards the plane. What he finds makes his blood run cold.

My Thoughts: This book hooked me from the first page - starting off with some amazing and mystifying scenes. Del Toro really brought his directing skills to the text and had me hanging off the edge of my seat. It was almost like reading my way through a mind-blowing film at first.

I say "at first" because after the intitial problem is set up - the whole thing starts to go down hill and begins to feel a little cheesy. I began to skim through pages with -Okay, so get to the point now- swimming around in my head. I found it very difficult to connect to the main characters on any kind of level and much preferred the secondary characters Gus and Fet (who make only very brief appearances).

Don't get me wrong - this book should not be cast aside lightly. Some of the descriptions are as awesome as they are shocking, and there is the odd gem of a scenario mixed in with all of the filler. You won't want to get on a plane for a while after reading the opening.

Recommendation: Sci-Fi and horror lovers may get a kick out of this, and anybody who is a fan of Del Toro's work. If you're looking for an easy and shocking read then this one might be right up your street. Just read the first chapter or two and you will be hooked.


I RATED THIS 7/10

No comments:

Post a Comment