Friday 29 June 2012

Heartshaped Box - Joe Hill

Date Read: May 2011

Judas Coyne is a collector of the macabre: a cookbook for cannibals...a used hangman's noose...a snuff film. An aging death-metal rock god, his taste for the unnatural is as widely known to his legions of fans as the notorious excesses of his youth. But nothing he possesses is as unlikely or as dreadful as his latest discovery, an item for sale on the Internet, a thing so terribly strange, Jude cant help but reach for his wallet...

My Thoughts: A brilliant modern ghost story that had me hooked. It was ever so slightly awkward around the edges, but drew me in - and although it didn't really scare me at all (nothing to do with the book, I'm just not easily frightened), it was chilling and pretty tightly written.

I didn't find myself liking the characters at all, but the pages were turning and it's definitely worth a read. Not my usual choice when it comes to books as I'm not particularly bothered with ghosts so much, but I was pleasantly surprised.


I RATED IT 8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment