Friday 29 June 2012

If Nobody Speaks of Remarkable Things - Jon McGregor

Date Finished: 30th December 2011

Risky in conception, hip and yet soulful, this is a prose poem of a novel -- intense, lyrical, and highly evocative -- with a mystery at its center, which keeps the reader in suspense until the final page. In a tour de force that could be described as Altmanesque, we are invited into the private lives of the residents of a quiet urban street in England over the course of a single day.

My Thoughts: A really deep and involving read that perhaps goes too far with the wistful description and longing atmosphere. I can't really describe it but I shall give it a go: This book laid heavily on me until I had finished the last page. I needed to finish it, which can only be a good thing.

Some of the small characteristics that McGregor paints into the novel are raw and remarkable. 


I RATED IT 7/10

No comments:

Post a Comment