Tuesday 2 June 2015

The Silence of the Lambs - Thomas Harris

I rated this 10/10

I understand now (though I haven't seen it) why the film adaptation of this book is raved about so much. After reading The Red Dragon, I wasn't expecting too much from this second book in the series, but I loved it and I can't believe it took me so long to bump this up to the top of my reading pile. I stumbled across this battered old copy on one of my parent's many bookshelves, and have since relocated it to my own. I intend to keep it - I don't think that they will mind...

Harris has the most fascinating writing style, and this is mostly shared with us through the character of Lecter. Lecter is absolutely terrifying and captivating at once, ruthless and intelligent, and one of the greatest characters I have stumbled across. A real pleasure to read around; blurring the lines between the notorious criminal and the insightful protagonist.
At the same time, Harris presents us with a handful of really strong female characters without losing any of the hard hitting action and without resorting to stereotypes. I really admire him for this - Harris is a brilliant author and I will be picking up the rest of this series, and watching the films soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment