Wednesday 3 June 2015

The Fry Chronicles - Stephen Fry

I rated this book 7/10

Spanning 1979-1987, The Fry Chronicles charts Stephen's arrival at Cambridge University up to his thirtieth birthday.

The first book I have finished reading in 2015!

I wasn't sure as to whether I liked Stephen Fry so much, and I must admit that I am still none the wiser. He certainly has a way with words, and his autobiography was interesting. I could almost hear him talking about some of the famous faces of comedy in that distinctive voice of his.

Having said that, I don't think we really got much emotion from him, nothing much of his personal life except his occasional bouts of self-depreciation, it's mostly a description of his and other people's successful careers. I understand that Fry suffers from cyclothymia and don't get much insight into this. Perhaps because I skipped his first memoir and have not read the next instalment yet, I am missing something?

It's definitely worth picking up, if for nothing else then for the winding and eloquent description, and the odd quote or idea that will be worth remembering. I enjoyed it overall.

No comments:

Post a Comment