Tuesday 2 June 2015

Fingersmith - Sarah Waters

I rated this 8/10

No one and nothing is as it seems in this Dickensian novel of thrills and reversals. Sue Trinder is an orphan, left as an infant in the care of Mrs. Sucksby, a "baby farmer." Mrs. Sucksby’s household also hosts a transient family of petty thieves--fingersmiths--for whom this house in the heart of a mean London slum is home.


I really loved the first half of this book, it was absorbing and I found myself lost between the pages. And the shocker at the end of part one was just brilliant - maybe I'm naive for not seeing it coming. The following descriptions of life in the 1800s were enchanting, and I felt as though she captured the atmosphere really well. Sue and Maud are great female protagonists, each strong in their own ways and each with their own flaws. I found myself connecting with them and caring for them both.


But once all of this has passed and part two is a fair way in, I started getting a little put off with the ensuing complexity of Sue and Maud's tale. It felt a bit weak (without giving anything away) when the truth eventually came out in full.

And so I think in all I was a little disappointed by Fingersmith, but Waters writing style is simply stunning, and so I will probably pick up more of her books if I come across them.

No comments:

Post a Comment