Wednesday 3 June 2015

The Miniaturist - Jessie Burton

I rated this book 7/10

On an autumn day in 1686, eighteen-year-old Nella Oortman knocks at the door of a grand house in the wealthiest quarter of Amsterdam. She has come from the country to begin a new life as the wife of illustrious merchant trader Johannes Brandt, but instead she is met by his sharp-tongued sister, Marin. Only later does Johannes appear and present her with an extraordinary wedding gift: a cabinet-sized replica of their home. It is to be furnished by an elusive miniaturist, whose tiny creations mirror their real-life counterparts in unexpected ways...

I felt like I really had to read this, and maybe that's where this book fell down for me straight away. It's not my usual style, but I'd heard enough about it to be coaxed into picking it up the other day and got stuck straight in.

It starts well enough; the pages turn and the plot unfolds quickly - I never really felt connected to the main protagonist, Nella in any way shape or form at the beginning, and to me the author struggles to have Nella's character develop in a rather rushed and strained manner. I didn't have any sympathy for her towards the end either, she just didn't seem to have much personality. The secondary characters are Jessie's real strength, feeling a little less forced and a lot more well rounded despite their shifty secret-keeping.

And the Miniaturist - this is the bit that gets me - so central to the theme of the book but could have been left out completely! In fact, if the Miniaturist and everything about it had been left out of this novel I think I would have been more absorbed by it; I think the plot would have been more credible and nothing much about it would have had to change. The Miniaturist had no real effect on any of the events as they unfolded and there was no real explanation for it either. This to me is a major fail.

If I ignore the 'Miniaturist' element (how could I!?!) then Jessie's book is very readable. It's dark and twisted and sheds light on the lives of women during the 1600s in Amsterdam. It's the perfect winter read - cold and heartless and heartbreaking. There isn't much hope or light between the pages, but if you like your books to be gritty, centred on strong women and steeped in history then this might be for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment