Wednesday 14 March 2012

Velocity - Dean Koontz

Date Read: January 2006

"If you don't take this note to the police... I will kill a lovely blond schoolteacher.... If you do... I will instead kill an elderly woman active in charity work. You have six hours to decide. The choice is yours."

The typewritten note under his windshield seems like just a sick joke. But in less than twenty-four hours, Billy Wiles, an ordinary, hardworking guy, is about to see his life take on the speed of a nightmare.

My Thoughts: I wasn't convinced at first by this novel. It is the first Koontz book that I have read and I believed there to be a few starting flaws. Billy seems to jump to conclusions too quickly in the beginning, and to possibly assume more than would be plausible given the initial situations. Some of his actions seem a little inhuman too at first.

Having said that, once you are immersed in the intensity of the drama, Billy's character and history are slowly revealed, perhaps accounting for some of the early thoughts he has that seem odd. This book quickly gripped me and had me reading hungrily for more. The brutal and bloody twists and turns leave you on the edge of your seat, and the ending is not a disappointing one either.

Recommendation: Anybody who can brush over a slight amount of awkwardness and likes their books to be fast, furious and horrifying will not be disappointed.
I RATED IT 7/10

No comments:

Post a Comment