Wednesday 14 March 2012

Pride and Pejudice and Zombies - Seth Grahame Smith + Jane Austen

Date Read: January 2009

“It is a truth universally acknowledged that a zombie in possession of brains must be in want of more brains.”

So begins Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, an expanded edition of the beloved Jane Austen novel featuring all-new scenes of bone-crunching zombie mayhem. As our story opens, a mysterious plague has fallen upon the quiet English village of Meryton—and the dead are returning to life!

My Thoughts: This book, after reading the first few pages, seemed to me to be a little flat. The idea of zombies appeared as merely a side-story, an afterthought. I have never read the original Pride and Prejudice, but you could put the words 'And Zombies' at the end of any book title and I'd pick it up.

My first impressions, in hindsight, took a huge smack in the face as I became drawn into the plot, the tongue-in-cheek humour and occasional innuendo that laced the story. Along with the odd bit of violence and diversion from reality, the characters are well written and very likeable. Elizabeth appears as a ninjaesque heroine alongside her zombieslaying sisters. This novel really did not put a foot wrong and merged the idea of a classic tale with a twist almost seamlessly. PPZ has everything you're going to need - comedy, action, romance and ZOMBIES!!!!

P.S: Although I am not one to be drawn into tale of romance usually, I definitely want my own Mr Darcy.

Recommendation: If you are willing to read something that needs a little more concentration and attention than some other books, love zombies, or haven't read Pride and Prejudice yet - you might be pleasently surprised.

I RATED THIS 10/10

No comments:

Post a Comment