Monday 8 April 2013

Birthmarked - Caragh M. O'Brien

"In the dim hovel, the mother
clenched her body into one final,
straining push, and the baby
slithered out into Gaia's ready hands."
Rated 3/10

After climate change, on the north shore of Unlake Superior, a dystopian world is divided between those who live inside the wall, and those, like sixteen-year-old midwife Gaia Stone, who live outside. It’s Gaia’s job to “advance” a quota of infants from poverty into the walled Enclave, until the night one agonized mother objects, and Gaia’s parents disappear.

My Thoughts: Bear with me, as I'm reviewing this on my phone. Birthmarked is a fairly bland read, with no real direction and characters that I just couldn't find realistic. I didn't get worked up over the problem, if there even was one. I couldn't see what all the fuss was about within the plot at all and didn't care. 

I thought the book was going to be so much more than it turned out to be - quite disappointing.

No comments:

Post a Comment