Monday 8 April 2013

The Rachel Papers - Martin Amis

"My name is Charles
Highway, though you
wouldn't think it to look
at me."
Rated 6/10

Charles Highway, a precociously intelligent and highly sexed teenager, is determined to sleep with an older woman before he turns twenty. Rachel fits the bill perfectly. Charles plans his seduction meticulously, and sets the scene with infinite care - but it doesn't come off quite as he expects...

My Thoughts: All in all this book was pretty good. I enjoyed the language and writing style used, and I was also mesmerised by the way that the relationship the narrator had with Rachel changed from meeting her to the very end page. A coming of age novel that I found brutal and cringeworthy in parts, and quite a bit sexist in others. Amis portrays his character very well and I can't help but believe that this book was written based upon personal experiences (bit worrying). 

Took me a while to plough through and I still can't make up my mind just what I took from it, but I'm glad I stuck with it and now I will never read it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment